Saturday, November 25, 2006

No more squeaky stair...

Yes, this is the sort of miniscule triumph with which I must content myself, at least until our previous house is sold and the holidays are over. Please ignore if you are one of the many folks single-handedly redoing your kitchen this week.

Our stairs to the second floor are carpeted (for now) and the second one made the most horrid "eee-oooooo, eee-ooooooo" noises such that we had to stretch our legs to step past it at night to avoid waking the child. I managed to slit the carpet neatly along the back of the stair below it, peel it back, and marvel at the gorgeous oak stair that was revealed, once I scraped off some of the 30-year-old foam padding. Eventually we hope to replace the carpet with a spiffy Oriental carpet runner or some such.

I drilled pilot holes from the tread down into the riser near the middle and on each side and screwed in wood screws, which I somehow remembered to put soap on so they went in more manageably. (They are black, so they don't show, and I was too lazy to inset them even more to allow for wood putty). Squeak completely gone, carpeting, alas, replaced for now and risk of waking child removed. Sometimes it's those little things....

No comments: